Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Law and Order kinda guy

My wife frequently sends me to our local grocery store with instructions to "ask the butcher this or ask the butcher that." This usually works well and I gain the needed advise except for lately if I make it to the store in the evening hours.

That is when it has become obvious to me the female butcher on duty often steps into the back room when she spots me coming and doesn't respond to the "ring for service" bell.

Knowing of how some women relate the looks of a person to someone they have known in the past (such as an ex-husband) I thought I understood and went about my shopping. That is just how the world is today and I am not going to change it, and yet regret my loss and their unnecessary pain.

However, the other evening I passed by the meat department and noted she was having a friendly conversation with another gent about my age and who didn't look that much un-like me. I was then surprised to hear her speaking Spanish with him and with vigor.

Ah hah!

The fact of her having dark hair and darker skin than I hadn't entered my mind as she just looked like a meat-cutter person as most meat-cutter persons look. Spanish, Italian, Hispanic, Greek, Dark German, Arab, who is to care? I don't.

However, I have also recently learned that my being a 60+ Gringo (non-Hispanic) male, with a gray beard, profiles me as a Law and Order kinda guy and someone who is likely adamantly opposed to Illegal Aliens.

Bingo, that's me!

Now, I better understand the no-service treatment at the meat counter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter