Saturday, December 20, 2008

Over the top . . . or not?

I awoke this AM to find the city almost inundated with ODOT trucks of every type including Snow plows, Sanders and Deicer rigs working in all quadrants of the greater metro area.
Wow, are we protected or what? But wait, its above freezing and the forecast is for the temps to rise during the day, so what's with all the action?
Then I recalled that later today there was to be a Huge Funeral Procession to honor the Oregon State Police Officer who died last week as a result of a Bombing of a Woodburn bank.
So this seemed over-reaction is no surprise to me considering an ODOT supervisor earlier in the week told his crews to not spare any expense in preparation for the Funeral Procession given the Woodburn Officer that died in the same event.
Then about 2:30 in the afternoon the contingent of Snow plows, Sanders and Deicer rigs all hit the barns leaving one Plow Sander to cover I-5 North and another I-5 South and that about the time the temps suddenly dropped and the area became a skating rink with snow and Freezing Rain everywhere.
But that was no surprise to me as most of the day I had been on the www and watching the Cold Arctic Air as it moved South down the valley.
Guess we taxpayers know where we stand.
I wonder what kind of Funeral preparations ODOT will make for any who might die in the next few hours as a result of Ice Laden Roadways that lacked sand.
Please note, my complaints deal with ODOT's executive management and the Capitol Building decisions as to how they spend the Billions of Highway dollars we taxpayers give them each year and not with the hard working road maintenance folks that get stuck with delivering the needed services.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter