Saturday, September 13, 2008

I visited Galveston Island back in the 80's

And that was about a year or so after they had suffered yet another Hurricane.
It was amazing to see the many homes having been built high on pilings that were missing roofs and walls and had been left un-repaired. Some still contained furniture and personal belongings that were visible from the street.
Then I spotted a four story, half block long, modern motel building that looked to be in good condition save all the broken windows.
Then I noticed that it had been pushed off its foundation by several feet. Wow!
At the time I was questioning why many of the damaged structures were being rebuilt and at whose expense. Now I know better.
Now, if I were to build a house on a rail-road track in Oregon can I expect Texans to run to my aide when a locomotive crashed through it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter