Friday, February 10, 2006

We all know well what those are worth.

While in our downtown bank today (which really should be called The Bank of Mexico) I observed a presentable young man with his wife and child (who I assumed were US Citizens because of their ability to speak English) in line ahead of me as he attempted to cash a business check he had just received and drawn on a account at that particular branch.

Smart move, safe bet, right?

After speaking with the cashier for a few minutes the young man turned back to his waiting wife and child with a look of disgust and announced "they won't cash it."

With a note of tremor in her voice she asked "isn't it any good?" He responded, "the check is, but I'm not!" "I don't have two pieces of photo ID, my drivers license isn't good enough."

Then I look around and see all these little Spanish speaking people being granted every courtesy possible as they speak (loudly in Spanish) with new account clerks and loan officers and wonder if their Matricula Counselar cards are given more respect than an Oregon drivers license.

Oh yes, I was there to order a new Visa Card as mine had split from overuse. They destroyed it for me. It had my picture on it.

For now, the only Photo ID I have is 'my Oregon drivers license' and we all know to well what those are worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter